Sunday, 29 March 2015

When SL Touches RL


When I was in SL before I always seen these folk who 'played families' as strange. It is adults using a child's AV and talking like a child to another adult. I still don't get it. Each to their own I guess.
The furniture in SL for babies is what stopped me in my tracks. I never planned to look at this stuff, I was just wandering around and came across it.
This stuff made me a little teary, think I was feeling emotional as it was . My dream was to be a mother so when I got married we started to try for a baby pretty soon after the wedding, 15 years later  and nothing. After a couple of miscarriages and failed IVF we had to just stop. My body went into early menopause. The chance of being a mother was over and my dreams gone. So when I seen this room set up it made me stop.
Some folk in SL must be in the same situation as me, I wonder does this help them.Those who had a crappy childhood, does this help them face some of the hurt from then. I don't know the answer to that but when I walk around SL and see a 'family' out  I won't be as quick to judge as I was before.
Like I said, each to their own.

1 comment:

  1. I used to think SL families were incredibly strange, too! I never wanted to get a prim baby. All the kid avatars that I'd encountered were just weird. But then I met some who were not. And as I got to know them, the stories on why they decided to become kids in SL made sense to me. I can't have babies of my own, which as you know, can be heartbreaking to find out. Especially when you want them so badly. When I joined my family in SL, we hadn't really talked about kids much. Then the opportunity came up for us to become godparents to a sweet girl, so we decided to go for it. She eventually became our SL daughter and it just felt really right to me. A few months later we adopted another girl and my SL has really never been happier. They're not just our RP kids, they're our friends. I feel motherly towards them most of the time, but they are both really good friends now, too.

    Okay, I'm rambling. LOL But yes. Having kids in SL has helped me with some of the hurt of not being a RL mom in many ways. Not in every way. Nothing ever really could, I think. But it's okay if other people see us out and think we're strange. We're happy and that's pretty much what counts. :)

    ReplyDelete